Slowpitch softball, the game having power in its base usually consists of two basic elements: a softball and a bat. This is an outdoor game played upon green grassy lands for the sake of enjoyment, pleasure and excitement. Power can only be achieved by the generation of bat speed. The speed of bat undoubtedly creates larger force. Slowpitch softball is mostly considered as the game of professional people while it’s not true at all. The game is suitable for the people belonging to all age groups as it’s the game of skill and fun. For stronger, powerful and better hit in slowpitch, few things must be taken into consideration:
Selection of Bat
The bats used in slowpitch softball are commonly 34 inches in length but they can be small or large according to the requirement. These bats are 2 ¼ inches barrel in diameter. For an excellent hit and greater control, the player should clutch a comfortable bat rather than a heavy one. The bat weigh mostly lies between 26oz – 30oz as it offers an effortless swing. Bats are designed with the combination of distinct materials like aluminium, carbon and wood. A good bat can make ball reach great distances.
Technique of Gripping the Bat
For a powerful hit, the right handed player must put his right hand above while the left handed one will put the left hand above. Player must hold bat closer to the handle for better hit.
Efficient Way of Ball Hitting
To enjoy a stronger hit, the player should warm his muscles as it provides him a better swing. Keep a closer eye upon the ball. Speed of the bat must be controlled. You must be aware of your strike zone so that you could hit the ball in the best approach.
Important Tips for Slowpitch Softball Hit
- Hips play an important role in power hitting. Before swinging your bat, you must rotate your hips for better positioning and resultantly compose yourself ready for a successful hit.
- Keeps your body moving forward with hands at back and attack the ball at the last moment.
- Don’t grip bat too hard in your hands. Bat must be gripped with a relaxed feel as it gives you time to swing the bat. Rigid connection between your hands and bat might restrict the slight rotation of bat and ultimately lead to a worse hit.
- Pull and push of hands determine the motion of swing. As the ball comes nearer to the strike zone of your bat, the front hand pulls through the strike zone while the back hand engages itself in pushing. The step would be helpful in the creation of more force.
- To create a “Line Drive”, player must hit the ball in the middle of the bat as it will go far than expectations.
- The bat should contact the ball closer to the body of player otherwise the ball will lose its momentum.
- Player must start his swing with his chin on the front shoulder while end with the chin on back shoulder. Shoulders must be kept relaxed and squared.
Secrets for Stronger Hitting
- Player must maintain a good, balanced and powerful swing angle for a powerful shot.
- Power must be produced by the lower part of body specially the hips and legs.
- Work must be done to improve the hand speed as it’s the only way which can make the player’s bat move faster and assist him in the development of power on the ball.
- For a stronger hit, the player must bend his knees slightly.
Art of Hitting
Ed Rose breaks the “art of hitting” in slowpitch softball into three basic T’s:
Players who understand these three skills master themselves in the game and perform at their best.
Player must be having best equipment (bat and ball) available with him. To be victorious, he must be as good as his competitor. For successful hitting, the player must have strength, speed, timing and technique which eventually overcome minor mistakes in the positioning of hand. Player must evenly distribute his weight and keep himself relaxed in the batter’s box. Player must incorporate good timing as it’s possible only if he have better technology and technique. So, focus upon the essential factors and move towards the paramount. Good Luck!